Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rock Mining bill killed for this session.

Cumberland Trail Supporters:

I want to take this opportunity to update Cumberland Trail supporters about the rock mining legislation. First, I want to thank everyone that has helped with this issue. I do believe our voices have been heard. Regrettably, Senate Bill 4198 has been “pulled” from the Administration’s legislative package. What does this mean? Unfortunately, all rock-mining bills have been withdrawn (killed) for this legislative session. A compromise on the bill could not be reached. Supposedly, a summer workshop is to take place to reconcile the bill and the new bill will be possibly introduced the next legislative session. For now, there will be no laws to protect surface owners from having their property stripped of its surface and the devastated landscape left in its place.

I have been in Deep Creek Gorge several times, before and after the rock mining. Before the rock mining, I remember volunteering to build the trail in this area. I recall how green the gorge was with its mountain laurel and trees and the sound of Deep Creek flowing in the background, a genuine place for escape from the hustle and stress of modern life. After the mining, a barren landscape of rocks and destruction, void of its green splendor, roads ripped through the middle of it, truly sad. There is one impression that continually plays in my mind when I think of the destruction of Deep Creek Gorge. There is a mature hemlock tree that I would guess has about a 4-foot diameter. This tree has lived for many decades possibly for over a century, there near the stream. I am humbled by the effort this tree put forth to survive and grow for so many years in this rocky gorge. Now, large sections of its bark have been torn off because heavy equipment and rocks have banged into it, roots ripped from around its trunk, a tree that has survived coal mining and clear-cutting left standing only to die within a few months. I cannot help but think what a high price to pay for a pile of rocks.

Tony Hook
General Manager
Cumberland Trail Conference

1 comment:

Matt Church said...

Thanks for sharing this information. I volunteered a few years previous. Sad to see the pictures. Don't live in TN but hoping for the best!

Blog Archive